WORLD BANK – RWANDA
Education and Skills Development Specialist
Local Extended Term Consultant (ETC) Appointment
(One Year, Subject to Renewal)
Location: Kigali, Rwanda
The Africa Region Education Department (AFTED) requires a full time consultant for a period of one year from September 1, 2010 (or sooner). Depending on satisfactory performance evidenced by review at the end of the first contract and available financing, the consultant’s contract may be extended for a period of up to two additional years. The consultant will work as a member of the World Bank team in Kigali under the technical management of the education sector Task Team Leader for Rwanda and in close collaboration with the Country Manager for Rwanda.
The responsibilities of the consultant will be to support the Bank’s work related to education and skills development in Rwanda. The consultant will provide input to the design of projects under preparation, to the provision of support to projects under implementation, and to the design and execution of analytical support and technical assistance. In addition, the consultant will ensure adequate and timely communication between the Bank and the Government of Rwanda (in particular the Ministry of Education), as well as coordination of activities among the various development partners involved in the Education Sector in Rwanda.
Work will be performed largely from the Bank’s office in Kigali. Travel within the country, and possibly abroad, may be required in the performance of duties.
The consultant will, inter alia, have the following roles and responsibilities:
- In coordination with the DC-based education task team leader (TTL), serve as the Bank’s primary in-country interlocutor to the government and education sector development partner group (currently led by DFID and UNICEF). This includes representing the Bank in meetings with government, development partners, and other organizations involved in the sector;
- Contribute to and provide on-the-ground support for the design and preparation of a Skills Development Project, and provide implementation support once the project becomes effective. Contribute to and provide on-the-ground support for the design and execution of analytical work and technical assistance in the area of education in general, and post-basic education and skills development in particular;
- Participate in missions for Bank-financed and Bank-managed education projects and analytical work, and contribute written and verbal input into mission documents such as Aide Memoires and Back to the Office Reports;
- Provide input for and review education and skills development related aspects of the Bank’s cross-cutting activities in Rwanda, including its general budget support operations; Maintain updated education sector statistics and other information to serve as input for monitoring reports and sector reviews;
- Inform the DC-based TTLs as well as the country management and country team members of ongoing initiatives and developments which are relevant to the Bank’s activities in the area of education;
- Work collaboratively with the Project Assistants and other Human Development (HD) staff based in Kigali and in headquarters on sector related activities.
Candidates ideally have credentials in each of the following areas:
- A Master’s degree or equivalent in the social sciences (including economics) with a strong background in the education sector and/or the linkages between human capital development and economic growth;
- Strong technical and analytical skills;
- A minimum of two years experience working in education or skills development in a low-income country setting for a government or development partner;
- Familiarity with World Bank guidelines and procedures;
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and evidence of good working relationships with government officials;
- Excellent speaking and writing skills and a proven ability to disseminate information effectively in public settings;
- Proficiency in French and/or Kinyarwanda is considered an advantage;
- Computer literacy and proficiency in Word and Excel; and
- Ability to travel within Rwanda and occasionally outside of Rwanda.
For the full position description and complete selection criteria, qualified candidates are requested to visit and submit the electronic application at www.worldbank.org/careers click on >employment opportunities >consultant/temporary opportunities> job# 101233 to submit your application electronically to the World Bank. Email or postal/paper applications will not be considered. The closing date for receipt of your electronic application is end of day June 29, 2010. Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Qualified male and female candidates of diverse background (gender, religious, ethnic) are encouraged to apply.